The Center for Health Administration Studies (CHAS) was established at the University of Chicago in 1962.
CHAS resulted from the merger of the Graduate Program in Health Administration (GPHA) at the University of Chicago and the Health Information Foundation (HIF). Founded by Michael M. Davis in 1934, GPHA is the oldest graduate program in hospital and health services administration in the United States. HIF was a private, nonprofit research center founded in 1949 in New York with the support of the pharmaceutical industry and devoted to the study of social and economic issues in medical care delivery. HIF moved to the University of Chicago in 1962. George Bugbee, director of HIF at the time of the move and former executive director of the American Hospital Association, assumed directorship of GPHA. In 1962, the combined GPHA and HIF became known as CHAS. In 1972, Odin Anderson, former research director of HIF, became the director of CHAS. Ronald Andersen succeeded Anderson as director from 1980 through 1990.
In 1990, CHAS moved from the Graduate School of Business to its current home in the School of Social Service Administration at the University of Chicago. At that time, Edward Lawlor assumed directorship of CHAS/GPHAP (1990-1998). In 1998, Kristiana Raube served as Acting Director of CHAS. From 1999-2002, Edward Lawlor returned to the leadership role of CHAS with Tom D'Aunno serving as the director of GPHAP. From 2003-2011, Harold Pollack and Colleen Grogan worked together in leadership roles for CHAS and GPHAP, respectively. Jeanne Marsh was appointed director of CHAS in 2011 with Grogan continuing as academic director of GPHAP.
Click the link for an overview of 50 years of CHAS.